Pause for Thought

A Day in the Life: October 10th


(Aged 14)
Wea.                                             SAT. OCT. 10, 1896               Ther.

Dug potatoes in A.M. for grandma for .25 cents.  In P.M. set 11 traps and rode my wheel down to the burg. 


(Aged 16)
Wea.                                             MON. OCT. 10, 1898               Ther.

Went to school on my wheel.



(Aged 17)
Wea.                                             TUE. OCT. 10, 1899               Ther.

George got up at 7 and said he was going to see a friend would be back at 8.  Burnes + I waited all day but he didn’t come so we took the same room at night after inquiring for such a fellow at the police station.

We looked the city over some.  Saw a darkey fall from the 7th story and strick his head on the stone walk killed him instantly.


(Aged 18)
Wea.                                              WED. OCT. 10, 1900                 Ther.

Sent a letter to Alice.  Went to school with Gordon.  In eve studied.  Got a letter from Alice.




(Aged 19)
Wea.                                              THU. OCT. 10, 1901                Ther.

Fixed the line fence between Littlefield and myself in A.M.  In P.M. Chas husked corn + Will + I drew in two loads.  I shod Old Leo.  Husked 9 bu.



(Aged 20)
Wea.                                               FRI.  OCT. 10, 1902             Ther.

Helped Pa thrash in A.M. in P.M. went down + helped Kineston saw up 1/2 a cd  of wood.



(Aged 21)
Wea.                                              SAT.  OCT. 10, 1903                  Ther.

Pearle + Rob Welman came down.



***********



Editor's Note:  Mexico is not coming off as planned.  The third in the party has disappeared and for some reason I feel like this missing person George was the lynch pin in the travel plans.  The fact that the boys Allen and Burnes waited all day for George to return and even checked at the police station shows how innocent they were.  Now whether George took money from them or what, I just don't understand why he couldn't have told Allen and Burnes that he changed his mind.  I feel like George whipped Allen and Burnes up into this Mexican plan under some sort of false pretenses but they don 't seem girded up to go it on their own.  I have to say watching a man plunging to his death would most likely give them pause to consider their own futures.  It is a cold, hard world at times and in the course of 24hrs they were witness to examples of this with a friend's betrayal and the much more shocking instantaneous death of a human being.  I can't imagine Allen was as unaffected as his emotionless recitation of the incident seems.  If I were Allen, I'd want my mommy.



********

Comments

Popular Posts