"A Hat Social"

A Day in the Life: April 27th
Allen,  Nora, Alice, Ruth, Willard, Fell, Frank, Rollin


(Aged 14)
Wea. Cloudy + Warm                  MON. APRIL 27, 1896               Ther.  65

Went to school.  Are at work at the barn.



(Aged 16)
Wea. Sunny                                  WED. APRIL 27, 1898               Ther.

Went to school played baseball.  After school rode my wheel.  Lawrence Warn came down + said Frank was going to Fredonia + wanted me to go but pa said I would have to wait till after while.  Rollie went down to the school house to hear Ezra Johnson’s phonograph.



(Aged 17)
Wea.                                             THU. APRIL 27, 1899                Ther.

Rode my wheel to school.  Stayed all night with John Glaspy had a fine time.



(Aged 18)
Wea.                                              FRI. APRIL 27, 1900                 Ther.

Painted the house.  In eve took Alice to a hat social at John Smedley’s.  I got Ada Rhodes to eat supper with got home at 2 A.M.


(Aged 19)
Wea.                                              SAT. APRIL 27, 1901                  Ther.

NO ENTRY AGAIN UNTIL MAY 22nd


(Aged 20)
Wea.                                               SUN.  APRIL 27, 1902                 Ther.

Went to factory.  Alice, Willard + I went over to Pa’s.  Aunt Maryann + Garvin were there.  I done the chores.  Gail went up to Sindell’s.



(Aged 21)
Wea.                                               MON.  APRIL 27, 1903                  Ther.

NO ENTRY MADE AGAIN UNTIL MAY 1st




***********



Editor's Note:  Aunt Maryann was Maryann Babcock Jones, Nora's older half-sister.  I don't know who Garvin (if I read it correctly) is but Maryann married a John M. Jones in 1851 and had one daughter that I know of named Effie.  I find John buried in Lakewood but neither his wife nor daughter seem to be there.  He died in 1901 so obviously would not have been part of the visit that day.  Garvin is a mystery.

The question that begs to be answered:  Was Ada Rhode's good company at the dinner table?  They had no shortage of ways to entertain themselves.  I'm guessing everyone had to don a chapeau to gain admittance.

Comments

Popular Posts