Welcome Utah! (And a Mini-me Moment)

A Day in the Life: June 27th


(Aged 14)
Wea.                                           SAT. JUNE 27, 1896               Ther.

Worked all day.  got the barn shingled + flag pole up.

In 1896 a new flag would have been raised with 45 stars marking the statehood of Utah in January that year.


(Aged 16)
Wea.                                             MON. JUNE 27, 1898               Ther.

Went to factory when I got home I mowed.  It rained awful hard washed the bridge out up by Harry Prettie’s.


(Aged 17)
Wea.                                             TUE. JUNE 27, 1899               Ther.

Mowed in A.M.  In P.M. raked, bunched up + mowed.  We expect to finish mowing the meadow next to Ezra Thayer’s tomorrow A.M.   Pa + I are doing the haying alone.



(Aged 18)
Wea.                                              WED. JUNE 27, 1900                 Ther.

Worked laying barn floor.  Frank Warn stayed all night with me.


(Aged 19)
Wea.                                              THU. JUNE 27, 1901                Ther.

Worked on bridge.


(Aged 20)
Wea.                                               FRI.  JUNE 27, 1902             Ther.

Went to factory then went strawberrying but didn’t get many.  Finished cultivating corn.


(Aged 21)

Wea.                                              SAT.  JUNE 27, 1903                  Ther.

NO ENTRY MADE AGAIN UNTIL OCTOBER 10th.





***********


Editor's Note:  I love that there was a flagpole on the farm.  I could be way off but I don't think that is very common anymore.  Okay, well I don't know what I'm talking about because as I think about it, I realize my neighbors on other side have flag poles.  And my neighbor in my last house had one so big in the back of his house that you could see it from the front.  Insert jokes of inadequacy and overcompensation here (we sure did). We're a mini-flag in the garden and bunting in the window kind of family.  What was really sweet was when we got home from my husband's Naturalization, our friends had covered the yard with mini flags. 

Richard becoming a citizen...E in a vintage blue gingham dress and ruby slippers.
The first time the dress was worn was 1971.







****

Comments

Popular Posts