Having a Bit of a Lark

A Day in the Life: May 3rd


(Aged 14)
Wea. Cloudy                                SUN. MAY 3, 1896               Ther.  70

Went over to grandma’s all of us.  Unkle Gib, Aunt May, Luella, Harry + Marvin (the baby) was down.



(Aged 16)
Wea.                                            TUE. MAY 3, 1898               Ther.

Went to school.  Walked all the way down with Raymond Harrington.  Rode home with Harry Pretty.




(Aged 17)
Wea.                                             WED. MAY 3, 1899               Ther.

Drove to school.  Broke my crutch playing football.  Wrote a letter to Mabel White.  Rev. Knight + family were here in the P.M.



(Aged 18)
Wea.                                              THU. MAY 3, 1900                 Ther.

In A.M. went up to Frank + Elmer Warn’s.  In P.M. we all went down to the big creek fishing didn’t get a bite.  We shot a rabbit + high hole coming home.  In eve I stayed all night with them.  We took a few pictures + had a fine time.

Different boys on a different lark.  Studying hard--Rollie second from right.


(Aged 19)
Wea.                                              FRI. MAY 3, 1901                Ther.

NO ENTRY AGAIN UNTIL MAY 22nd


(Aged 20)
Wea.                                               SAT.  MAY 3, 1902             Ther.

Went to factory got the cows + calves from Mrs. Page’s took the yearlings over to Miles Tracy’s to pasture at $3.50 per head.  Ruth came down.


(Aged 21)
Wea.                                              SUN.  MAY 3, 1903                  Ther.


Came home from Andrew’s.  Pearle came home with us.



***********


Editor's Note: High hole?  And, "we" shot a rabbit?  More like one of the Warn boys did but it seems like a good time was had by all.  Just what pictures did they take though?  I wish we had them.  I think.  I mean boys will always be boys...I do have a copy of  a very dirty poem that I once thought was written out by Allen but now that I know his "voice" and handwriting, I realize he was only the owner of the copy and not the transcriber.  Diana and I have debated how to share it.  Perhaps we'll find a way yet.

I can only assume Andrew in Blockville is Alice's dad Andrew Warn but I have no idea what he is doing there.  I do think after Alice marries, he and Hattie move to Jamestown but don't know why he'd go from Carroll to Blockville. 

How did Allen play football with a crutch to begin with? Absolutely amazing.

Comments

Popular Posts