Accidents Will Happen

A Day in the Life:  September 10th


(Aged 14)
Wea.                                            THU. SEPT. 10, 1896               Ther.

Rode my wheel to school.  Just as I got into the burg a little boy jumped in front of the wheel + as I did not want to run into him I dodged him + the wheel struck a tree + broke the peddle off.  I walked home.  I put the other peddle on it.  It is all right now.
It could have been worse--what's a broken pedal in the scheme of things?
Photo found here.

(Aged 16)
Wea.                                            SAT. SEPT. 10, 1898                 Ther.

Went to factory then cut corn till noon.  Pa went to the burg then up to Elmer Vanderwark's.  In eve I went up to Ivory to go cooning but didn’t get anyone to go.


(Aged 17)
Wea.                                             SUN. SEPT. 10, 1899                 Ther.

NO ENTRY AGAIN UNTIL OCTOBER 2nd.


(Aged 18)
Wea.                                              MON. SEPT. 10, 1900               Ther.

Began school.  Rode my wheel.  Am taking Geometry, English History, Adv. English, 1st year Latin.  Lucy is working for us till ma gets well.  Effie and Aunt Maryanne came out today.  Irma was down.


(Aged 19)
Wea.                                              TUE. SEPT. 10, 1901                Ther.

Stayed at home all day.  Got a bushel of potatoes of Mrs. Page for 50 cents and digging.



(Aged 20)
Wea.                                               WED.  SEPT. 10, 1902             Ther.

Was sick all day.  Gail dug for silo.  In P.M. helped Springer.



(Aged 21)
Wea.                                              THU.  SEPT. 10, 1903                 Ther.


NO ENTRY AGAIN UNTIL OCTOBER 10th


***********


Editor's Note: I can't deny my surprise to find that just 3 months before Allen is to marry Alice he is starting another year of school.  It just seems wrong somehow.  Is he a boy or a man?  Why the rush?  I'm not speculating on anything here other than how different times were.  He was boy enough to still be studying and yet man enough to become a husband.  There was no long bridge to cross the divide, it seems rather as if it simply was a jump from one bank to the other.  Of course, I didn't marry until my thirties so I'm really unable to relate.


*******

Comments

Popular Posts