Last Day on the Job

A Day in the Life: August 20th


(Aged 14)
Wea.                                            THU. AUG. 20, 1896               Ther.

Pa, Ma, Rollie, Grandma + I went to the Woodard Reunion.  There was about 78 present.  They chose pa as president this year + last.


(Aged 16)
Wea.                                             SAT. AUG. 20, 1898                 Ther.

Went to factory.  Pa + Ma went up to Martin Grouts.  I went hunting.  In eve I went up to Maxwell’s and played checkers with Mabel White.


(Aged 17)
Wea.                                             SUN. AUG. 20, 1899                 Ther.

Worked in the stand.   This is my last day.


(Aged 18)
Wea.                                              MON. AUG. 20, 1900               Ther.

Drew milk.  Stayed at home all day.  In eve wrote a letter to Alice.


(Aged 19)
Wea.                                              TUE. AUG. 20, 1901                Ther.

Drew in the rest of my oats and drew butter.  32 tubs.  Bot Maud a bay horse 9 yr old to male Dandy.  Gave my note at 3 mo for $150.



(Aged 20)
Wea.                                               WED.  AUG. 20, 1902             Ther.

Finished reaping my oats in A.M.  In P.M. drew in one load of hay.  Alton + Gail finished setting up my oats.  Sold a team Chub + Ritts to F. Kineston for $128 and a pair of bobsleds.


(Aged 21)
Wea.                                              THU.  AUG. 20, 1903                 Ther.


NO ENTRY AGAIN UNTIL OCTOBER 10th


***********



Editor's Note: I woke up thinking about the "Maxwell's" this morning and I was questioning why I thought it was more of a hangout or restaurant/store type of thing rather than a farm.  There was an older Maxwell couple in the area at the time as I believe I have mentioned but the reason I don't think it was just their farm is because of Allen's wording. If he is going to anyone's house/farm he gives first and last name or at least a title;  "Up to Leon Page's" or "Down to Mrs. Mason's".  With the Maxwell's he uses neither name nor title.  Maybe the Maxwell's were the older couple and just threw many games' parties.  Still working on it.  But it is noted that my perplexing Mable White is somehow involved with the Maxwell mystery too.

Anyway, back to business...or not.  Allen's run in the stand is over.  I wonder if he was just covering for someone on holiday or if he just couldn't muster the interest necessary and quit.  Hardly blameworthy.

And good to see Allen is still wheeling and dealing with the Kinestons in 1902.


******

Comments

Popular Posts