"I Like Bikes"

A Day in the Life: August 31st


(Aged 14)
Wea.                                           MON. AUG. 31, 1896               Ther. 

Drew grandma over 4 3/4 cd of wood for which I got $5.25.  This is toward a bicycle.
Most likely Dad's license plate



(Aged 16)
Wea.                                            WED. AUG. 31, 1898               Ther.

Went to factory.  In P.M. went up to Shaw’s + seen them thrash.  I have skipped two pages will write it + change date.


(Aged 17)
Wea.                                             THU. AUG. 31, 1899               Ther.

NOT ALLEN’S HANDWRITING: “Some new help came.  Met Chas. Henderson + Art McNamara from Titusville, PA.


(Aged 18)
Wea.                                             FRI. AUG. 31, 1900                 Ther.

Went to factory.   Drew manure.  In eve went up to see Alice.


(Aged 19)
Wea.                                              SAT. AUG. 31, 1901                Ther.

Rainy.  Frankie went to Jamestown and got drunk and I had all the chores to do.  Luella came down to stay with grandma a while.


(Aged 20)
Wea.                                               SUN.  AUG. 31, 1902                Ther.

Stayed at home.  In eve drove over to Pa’s.



(Aged 21)
Wea.                                              MON.  AUG. 31, 1903                  Ther.


NO ENTRY AGAIN UNTIL OCTOBER 10th.



***********


Editor's Note:  Though there has been much talk of bikes throughout the years of these journals and the turnover on models seems great, I feel like this may well be the first ever bike Allen owned. I plan to do a time line of his bikes at some point as soon as I get a bit of time myself.

Allen did skip two pages of his diary and amended the date but I'm not sure he did it entirely correctly because he writes of church on days other than Sunday but I went with it as noted by date and not day.

In 1899 I believe that the boys in the bunkhouse might be passing around Allen's journal not that anything unusual is being said in the above entry.  However, it is definitely not Allen's hand unless he is under the influence.  It is big and loopy and lighter than his usual pencil pressure.  Just not his script.

Now we have a clue as to why Frankie needed more money to dredge.  It would seem he wanted to go on a bit of a bender up town.

BTW "I Like Bikes" is in quotes because it was an Driver's Ed movie I will always remember because this voice kept chanting during every vignette between car and bicycle "I like bikes".  It was to remind you that you share the road and could crush a bike pretty handily if not careful.  This reminder comes in useful since I live in a University town. 

FOUND IT at  IMDB!

***********




Comments

Popular Posts