"For Whom the Bell Tolls"

A Day in the Life: April 12th


(Aged 14)
Wea. Warm                                  SUN.  APRIL 12, 1896               Ther.  80

Grandma came over.  It is a very warm spring day.  It is 80 degrees above zero. 


(Aged 16)
Wea.   Sunny                               TUE. APRIL 12, 1898               Ther.

Rode my wheel to school.  In eve went down to Chas Wygrene’s to tell him to get the bell that pa sent for + has come.  I broke the front forks on my wheel going down.  Pa won’t try to help me but he may be sorry someday.


(Aged 17)
Wea.                                             WED. APRIL 12, 1899               Ther.

Went to school.  Played football.  Grandma + the Mrs. Grovers were over to visit with Ma + Mrs. Mason.



(Aged 18)
Wea.                                              THU. APRIL 12, 1900                 Ther.

Boiled sap all day.  Pa + Elmer cut the wood and by being careful I could keep fire.  Ray Lawson was down and is going to stay all night.


(Aged 19)
Wea.                                              FRI. APRIL 12, 1901                Ther.

NO ENTRY AGAIN UNTIL MAY 22nd


(Aged 20)
Wea.                                               SAT.  APRIL 12, 1902             Ther.

Went to factory.  Fixed fence up by Springer’s.  Cleaned calf stable, etc.  Snowed some.



(Aged 21)
Wea.                                              SUN.  APRIL 12, 1903                  Ther.

NO ENTRY MADE AGAIN UNTIL MAY 1st




***********


Editor's Note:  What is this veiled threat against pa--"he may be sorry someday"?  I really want specifics.  How will he be sorry?  Allen was doing a job for his dad when he broke his forks, perhaps Frank should have had a little sympathy.  I wonder what the bell was?  A school bell; a cow bell; a church bell?  We had the school bell from the Poland, NY one-roomed-school house for a short while when we were young.  It was sold with the house when our parents divorced as far as I know.

The School Bell and another fabulous off-center photo of me at my 4th birthday in Media, PA.  Somebody needed to do a little yard work, no?





Comments

  1. I say be happy there was a photo of you and a birthday gathering. That was the year it all ended. No one was thinking "I out to trim the bushes" but rather "How do I get out of this?" I wish we had taken the bell. I wonder what happened to it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts