Sappy Thoughts

A Day in the Life: March 8th


(Aged 14)
Wea.  Snowy                               SUN. MARCH 8, 1896                    Ther. 30

Went over to Grandma’s.  Sugared down first time this year had about 1 qt.
                

(Aged 16)
Wea.  Sunny                                TUE. MARCH 8, 1898                    Ther.

Went up the hollow in the morning + got some groceries before school-- was late.  Played football. In evening boiled sap.

Boiling Sap (to purchase)



(Aged 17)
Wea.                                             WED. MARCH 8, 1899                  Ther. 

Drove to school.  Sent for the football.  France Long rode up from the burg with me.  Alice Peterson visited the school.


(Aged 18)
Wea.                                             THUR. MARCH 8, 1900                 Ther.

Rode to school with Gordon.


(Aged 19)
Wea.                                             FRI. MARCH 8, 1901                     Ther.

NO ENTRY AGAIN UNTIL MAY 22nd


(Aged 20)
Wea.                                             SAT.  MARCH 8, 1902                   Ther.

Drew 1 1/2 tons of hay from Pa’s to the horse barn for $10 per ton.  Our cigar knife and repair links came .65 cents express charges.


(Aged 21)
Wea.                                              SUN.  MARCH 8, 1903                Ther.

NO ENTRY MADE AGAIN  UNTIL MAY 1st




***********


Editor's Note:  I must confess I had no idea that once football was always in season.  And I am seriously considering tapping the two maple trees in our front yard to see what happens.  We joked about it last year but this year I'm inspired by the journals.   Perhaps next March so I'll be more prepared but I worry about a whole lot of effort for little reward.  I'm a rather lazy farmer though we did sow many seeds this past weekend.  To be clear, when I call myself a farmer I mean we really just have small veggie patch but it is awesome.

Comments

Popular Posts