How sick is "nearly sick"?

A Day in the Life: March 6th

(Aged 14)
Wea.                                            FRI. MARCH 6, 1896                    Ther.

Went to school had examination in Geography + Spelling.
                

(Aged 16)
Wea.  Cloudy                               SUN. MARCH 6, 1898                   Ther. 30

Pa + Ma went up the hollow to S.S. Fred Slater was down to see Chas.  In evening went down to the burg to the U.B. Church.

                     
(Aged 17)
Wea.                                              MON. MARCH 6, 1899                 Ther. 

Didn’t go to school as I was nearly sick.  Pa + Ransom built a sheep shed.  My teeth ache awful.


(Aged 18)
Wea.                                              TUE. MARCH 6, 1900                  Ther.

Rode to school with Gordon Taylor.  Alice Warn visited the school and I made a date with her for tomorrow night.


(Aged 19)
Wea.                                             WED. MARCH 6, 1901                  Ther.

Went with the milk.  We had 42 lbs. Frankie and I burned the cow (unknown word) in P.M.


(Aged 20)
Wea.                                              THUR.  MARCH 6, 1902              Ther.

Went to factory.  Gail helped pa.  I went to the burg + got my buggy. $2.50.  Alice went up home.  I went up + got her we eat super up there  Ruth cam home with us.

I'm guessing Frank bought a Murray Buggy back in 1889 since he kept this letter.  Was it still in use in 1902?




(Aged 21)
Wea.                                              FRI.  MARCH 6, 1903                   Ther.

NO ENTRY MADE AGAIN UNTIL MAY 1st.




***********


Editor's Note:  I am wondering, given his age, if Allen's aching teeth are his wisdom teeth coming in?  And my goodness but Alice Warn is not letting up!  Love her boldness.  Two days ago she marched herself over to Allen and asked him to Frank's party on Friday and here today she turns up at Allen's school and they make another date to happen even sooner!  That girl knew how to make her own luck.

 Hilarious that Allen calls off school because he is "nearly sick".  I'm suspecting he actually is outright sick as his Pa was the other day when he was deemed "nearly sick" as well.  I'm not sure he's using his phrasing correctly.

Comments

Popular Posts