Nora's Cake Recipe

Nora's cake as made by me with Nora's actual teapot.
Cream 1 cup sugar
1 heaping tablespoon butter
1 heaping tablespoon of hot water
1 cup milk
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
last: 2 egg whites beaten

I baked it at 350F until it seemed done.  It was rather dense but actually pretty tasty.  


I frosted it with Mabel's chocolate icing which was okay.  I don't think I did it right.  It is very sugary and I kept melting more chocolate to make it less drizzly but it made no difference.
Here is her recipe.  Maybe you can understand better than I did.

1 cup sugar
2 squares shaved chocolate
1/2 of a 1/4 lb of butter
1/2 cup boiling water
boil 5 minutes, beat over cold water
add 1/2 tsp vanilla


After much double-checking on the final taste, I pretty much ate the whole damn thing by myself in the end. So two thumbs up for historical value and overall result.


NB.  Clearly I'm not the photographer to call if your menu needs new, appetizing illustrations.

NB2.  I have just added a jpeg of the original hand-written recipe.  Also included is Nora's Strawberry preserve recipe.  I'd try it but what's the point?  I know I wouldn't want to eat it after I let it stand for 3 days.




Comments

  1. Now I am wickedly hungry and there is nothing like this in the house. NOTHING. Curse you and your pretty photos of ancestorial yumminess.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts