A Day in the Life: January 20th

(Aged 14)
Wea.   Cloudy                               MON. JAN. 20, 1896                   Ther. 30

Went to school.  I got breakfast + supper.  I got this fountain pen of(f) Fred Lee.  I gave him 15 cents for it.  Grandma was over here to help ma.  I carried her home when I got home from school.                 

(Aged 16)
Wea.     Rainy                               THUR. JAN. 20, 1898                  Ther.  38

Leon Page stayed with me last night.  Went to school.  Examined a pig’s lung through a microscope.  In evening Chas Waygreen (Wigren)  was here + I wrote a letter to Frank Warn.  Ma got a letter from Effie.
 

(Aged 17)
Wea.                                              SAT. JAN. 20, 1899                        Ther. 

Went to school drove and took a grist. Raymond Harringotn rode up with me. 
In eve Pa and Ed Harring went down to church while Ma + Rollie went up to his house.
Played football at morning and noon at night they were going to play but the football bladder was torn all to pieces don’t know what done it.


(Aged 18)
Wea.                                               SUN. JAN. 20, 1900                      Ther.

Went over to grandma’s.

 
(Aged 19)
Wea.                                               SUN. JAN. 20, 1901                      Ther.

The girls went home after breakfast.  I did chores and worked until about 1 o’clock.  Ma + Rollie went to town to see pa.  He is much better.  I took a bath and Alice washed my head.  I must not forget to say I shaved.
 

(Aged 20)
Wea.                                              MON.  JAN.  20, 1902                    Ther.

Ray went over to Pat Laughlin’s after a load of lumber.  Got home about 4 o’clock.  I done the chores + went to the factory. 
 

(Aged 21)
Wea.                                              TUE.  JAN.  20, 1903                     Ther.

Worked in Joel’s Mill all day and did chores at home.  Dave did Pa’s. 
 

(Aged 22)
Wea.                                                WED. JAN. 20, 1904                     Ther.

Went up + worked tearing out the old boiler.





***********

Editor's Note: 
He made the meals again for his sick mother which is lovely.   Allen mostly writes his journals in pencil until he gets a pen which he uses for one entry and then decides better of it.  This one is red ink.

In 1899 there was the mystery of the torn-apart bladder to solve.  But I wonder the bladder lasted as long as it did since they played with it all the time.  But maybe the girls were hoping to drive a little attention their way by sabotaging the boy's game.  I doubt we'll ever know.

It seems Pa (Frank) is still recovering from his unknown operation.  How sweet Alice washed Allen's hair for him.  The girls who spent the night were Ruth and Pearl--Alice's younger sisters.

In 1903, Pa is still sitting on the Grand Jury over in Mayville so Dave the hired hand is doing his chores for him.  I'll bet with some sleuthing we could find what cases he heard.

Comments

Popular Posts