A Day in the Life: January 17th

(Aged 14)
Wea.      Clear                                FRI. JAN. 17, 1896         Ther.    6 above

Went over to grandma’s after the sausage-grinder before I went over to school.  After school I went over to grandma’s + took the sausage-grinder home + took her brand over.  I bought it today.  Took the libery (sic) book Hans Brinker or the Silver Skates back in the P.M.  I was the only boy in our classes.   
                        
 
(Aged 16)
Wea.   Clear                                MON. JAN. 17, 1898                           Ther.   16-40

In eve we played Tiddedly Winks and practiced on the organ.  16-40 means it was 16 above zero in the A.M. and 40 above zero in the P.M.  at about 2:30 oclock or when it was warmest. 

 
(Aged 17)
Wea.                                   TUE. JAN. 17, 1899                        Ther. 

Got up at 5:30.  Went to school drove Topsie + the carriage.  Raymond Harrington rode down with me.  Rollie sent for a printing press.

Played football it was somewhat muddy but we play just the same.  They are shingling the roof down at the Webster place. 

In eve rollie kicked my lame leg + I kicked him then pa was going to cuff my ears but he didn’t hurt much as he only hit me once.  Think he better take a few lessons in boxing.

 
(Aged 18)
Wea.                                             WED. JAN. 17, 1900                      Ther.

Drew Manure in the A.M. In the P.M. went to the burg.
 

(Aged 19)
Wea.                                               THUR. JAN. 17, 1901                          Ther.

In A.M. went over to the other farm.  Ma rode over to grandma’s with me.  Alice and I greased the harness in the P.M.  http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_take_care_of_horse_harness_made_out_of_leather 

(Aged 20)
Wea.                                              FRI.  JAN.  17, 1902                Ther.

Drew 2 ton of hay from pa’s.  Went to factory.  Pearle came down. 


(Aged 21)
Wea.                                            SAT.  JAN.  17, 1903                        Ther.

Worked in Joel’s Mill all day.  Ma came over and brought my dinner up to me. 
 

(Aged 22)
Wea.                                                SUN. JAN. 17, 1904                      Ther.

Stayed at home all day.





***********

Editor's Note:  I hope Allen finished reading Hans Brinker though we get no review of it.  Also, interesting that he is the only boy who made it to school that day.  Presumably farm responsibilities kept the others away.  It makes you wonder about truancy and notes from home.  How was absence tolerated and what were the educational expectations of community?

I will try to research the "Webster Place" to see why his dad was working on it. Frank Cass was Justice of the Peace for the Town of Carroll for many years and also a bit of a "gentleman farmer".  Over the years he acquired a number of properties in the area to lease out.  I wonder if the Webster Place was one such property.

At some point in Allen's youth, he was injured in a farming accident the details of which I do not know.  What is known to me is that it left his left leg quite a few inches shorter than his right and as a result, Allen  wore a special platform shoe.  My sister and I were hoping to have it referenced for us and here it is in 1899 when his little brother kicked Allen's "lame leg".   So it had happened by the age of 17 though his leg appears normal in the photograph I posted of him at 14.  My hope is that we learn about it still but, as you may have noticed, I do not have a diary for the age of 15.

And for a brief moment I have to admit I thought "greased the harness" might just have been a euphemism.

Pearle is Pearle Warn, Alice's younger sister.

Comments

Popular Posts