Happy 130th Birthday to Allen Frank Cass!

A Day in the Life: November 21st

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to ALLEN FRANK CASS
Now that is one healthy farm baby!


(Aged 15)
Wea.                                             SAT. NOV. 21, 1896               Ther.

Geo went to the burg + brought home a straw cutter.  Ma went down to Mrs. Mason’s.  Today is my birthday.  I am 15 years old.  Pa + Ma got ma a cap for .75 c + a water glass.  They got Rollie a water glass too.


(Aged 17)
Wea.                                             MON. NOV. 21, 1898               Ther.

Drove to school.  Luella rode down with me.



(Aged 18)
Wea.                                             TUE. NOV. 21, 1899               Ther.

Went hunting all day.  Killed two rabbits.  I shot both.  In eve went over to church.


(Aged 19)
Wea.                                              WED. NOV. 21, 1900                 Ther.

Helped kill a pig in the A.M.  In P.M. helped Pa drive some yearlings down to the Webster Place.  Ma gave me a pair of cuff buttons--my birthday present.  I am nineteen and engaged.  In eve went up to see Alice, my betrothed.  She gave me some presents. XX


(Aged 20)
Wea.                                              THU. NOV. 21, 1901                Ther.

Went to factory.  Bought a cow of pa, 88 bu. of oats, 95 bu. of corn and a grindstone.  Sold him a calf $6.  Gave my note for $100 due in 6 mo.  Traded Lee the black horse for Tom a gray one with Arnie Shaw gave him a cow + $10 to boot.

(Aged 21)
Wea.                                               FRI.  NOV. 21, 1902             Ther.

Alice went to town.  Dave + I tore down the old hen house + began a new one back of the horse barn.  I am 21 today.  Alice gave me a pen knife + Andrew a pair of gloves

(Aged 22)
Wea.                                              SAT.  NOV. 21, 1903                  Ther.

NO MORE ENTRIES MADE


***********



Editor's Note: I so love the stock-take of his young life..."I am nineteen and engaged".  It is as if he has to write it to believe it but I think there is happiness in that assessment and pride in his milestone attainments.  He even lets a little romance slip when he refers to his "betrothed" Alice.

BTW, I have been waiting most of this year to use that awesome photo!  I can't even believe we have it. What a super chunk of cuteness Allen was.

*******

Comments

Popular Posts