"Yankee Doodle Boy"

A Day in the Life: July 4th


(Aged 14)
Wea.                                            SAT. JULY 4, 1896               Ther.

Rollie, Grandma + I went up to Aunt May’s.  Aunt Addie + Bernice rode up with us.  It rained hard for about three hours.  Aunt Em is sick with heart disease again.  Don’t think she will live long.


(Aged 16)
Wea.                                             MON. JULY 4, 1898               Ther.

Went to factory then several of us boys went down on the big creek when I got home.  Pa found out that we had been using tobacco + was going to have me leave home but I promise that if I used it again before I am 21 I shall leave.


(Aged 17)
Wea.                                             TUE. JULY 4, 1899               Ther.

Got a shoe put on the horse at Ivory.  Then went and got Mattie.  We drove to Jamestown then took street car for Celeron.  Coming home just below Carter’s a run away horse ran int us and broke the reach of the carriage but I fixed it with the halter so we got home.  Spent $3.20 Got home at 3 o'clock A.M.  Had a fine time

Aunt Addie was over to grandma’s.  Pa, Ma + Rollie went over.

Street Car from Jamestown to Celoron. 

(Aged 18)
Wea.                                              WED. JULY 4, 1900                 Ther.

Went to town and got Alice then met Lydia Lawson + Elmer Warn and we all went over to the river.  Came back + ate supper at Elmer’s then I took Alice up town.  Got home at 4 A.M.  Took some pictures.


(Aged 19)
Wea.                                              THU. JULY 4, 1901                Ther.

Hayed it at Pa’s.  Had some ice cream.


(Aged 20)
Wea.                                               FRI.  JULY 4, 1902             Ther.

Alice, grandma + I went over to pa’s.  Had ice cream.  Gail fixed his house.


(Aged 21)
Wea.                                              SAT.  JULY 4, 1903                  Ther.

NO ENTRY MADE AGAIN UNTIL OCTOBER 10th.



***********


Editor's Note:  No big celebration much less a note of the holiday.  I suppose ice cream marked the occasion as did the trips to the river and creek but those could be any summer day.  I have to say the day up to Celeron was mighty exciting what with the runaway horse crashing into them.  I never have gotten a clear picture of Mattie and Allen's relationship.  I think they were a little bit of an item in the "you'll do for now" category of teenage romance.  I believe it was Mattie Cowan who asked Allen out sleigh riding in January 1900.  Allen first accepted her invite only to cancel a few days later opting instead to share his sleigh with Alice.  Saying that I also think "had a fine time" is Allen's code for a little snogging.

How about that old demon tobacco?  This is the second time Frank has threatened to put Allen out over using it.  Don't know if he was chewing it or smoking it this time.  Funny thing is that we know Frank was a cigar smoker.  "Do as I say not as I do"--not the best position to take as a parent.

*****

Comments

Popular Posts