A Bet Against The Future

A Day in the Life: July 16th


(Aged 14)
Wea.                                            THU. JULY 16, 1896               Ther.

Came very near getting licked for smoking.  Would but I agreed to let pa lick me every time he caught me using tobacco.  Worked all day.
Nora Babcock's Autograph book from 1878--the year she graduated high school.

From her friend and future husband Frank S. Cass


(Aged 16)
Wea.                                            SAT. JULY 16, 1898                 Ther.

Went to factory.  Worked all day to pay for Geo Walters fixing my wheel + for pa milking for me.          In eve went up the Hollow + the cup out of the crank shaft. (?)



(Aged 17)
Wea.                                             SUN. JULY 16, 1899                 Ther.

Stayed at home till about 3.30 P.M. then took the horse + buggy and Mattie + I took a ride we stopped at the burg to church.  Got home at midnight.


(Aged 18)
Wea.                                              MON. JULY 16, 1900               Ther.

Worked haying all day.  Very tired at night. 



(Aged 19)
Wea.                                              TUE. JULY 16, 1901                Ther.

Hayed it at pa’s.


(Aged 20)
Wea.                                               WED.  JULY 16, 1902             Ther.

Jim Howard  began work.  Will work till Aug 1 for $7.  Got in 4 load.


(Aged 21)
Wea.                                              THU.  JULY 16, 1903                 Ther.


NO ENTRY AGAIN UNTIL OCTOBER 10th


***********


Editor's Note:  So basically, in 1896, the deal was struck between father and son saying if you don't hit me now, I'll let you hit me every time I mess up in the future...Good luck with that. 
Isn't it funny that this promise of  future "violence" comes from the same man who wrote the pithy  Autograph book entry 18 years earlier?  Okay, okay, I'm not being fair.  In 1868 Frank was a kid trying to impress and woo Nora with sagacity and eloquence.  When you find your own child doing something that you know will harm them, all bets are off.

And I have to say I have no idea what Allen is talking about regarding the cup and crank shaft so I will revisit that entry soonest and check my transcribing.

As of July 16th 1899, Mattie Cowan is still in the lead...


******

Comments

Popular Posts