It's Not All Academic

A Day in the Life: January 31st

(Aged 14)
Wea.   cloudy                               FRI. JAN. 31, 1896                       Ther.  40

Went to school in the evening went to a party at Mr. Marshall’s  + rode home with John Warn. 
Ma + Grandma went to Jamestown.
                      

(Aged 16)
Wea. Cold                                     MON. JAN. 31, 1898                     Ther.  18

Went to school.  Geo Walters is moving onto the place where James Anderson lived.  Got me a pair of rubbers.  During the regents examinations I passed History, Arithmetic + Reading.  I am now taking Elem. English, Physiology, Geography + Civics.


(Aged 17)
Wea.                                              TUE. JAN. 31, 1899                       Ther. 

Rode to school with pa he went up to Bradley’s after some money to pay Colburn.  Walked as far as Thorntons when pa met me + took me home the rest of the way.
I began the study of Physics today.

 Photo circa 1890.  Our Grandmother's first teaching job was in the one-room school house "where all the Cass Children went to school".


Library of Congress Map Collection


(Aged 18)
Wea.                                               WED. JAN. 31, 1900                     Ther.

In A.M. drew a load of manure. 
In P.M. stayed at home all the time awful cold.  The thermometer is about zero and the wind blows bad.


 

(Aged 19)
Wea.                                              THUR. JAN. 31, 1901                    Ther.

Drew a load of logs to the burg in the A.M. and did the chores.


(Aged 20)
Wea.                                              FRI.  JAN.  31, 1902                       Ther.

Lawrence, Ray + I cut logs all day.  In eve I went over to pa’s + got a sack of flour.


(Aged 21)
Wea.                                              SAT.  JAN.  31, 1903                      Ther.

Dave + I cut a big hemlock tree and a beech.  Pearl + Ruth came down.


(Aged 22)
Wea.                                               SUN. JAN. 31, 1904                      Ther.

Stayed at home all day.  In eve Alice went to church.




***********

Editor's Note:  So our boy does well on his Regents exams and moves to the head of the class--well maybe not but there's so much more for him to study.  In discussing with my sister where exactly Allen would have gone to school we have opened a new line of investigation.  For some reason I thought he went into Frewsburg but my sister assumed that he went down the road to the one-room school house in Poland.  Then I found a picture my grandmother painted of said school house with the notation "Where all the Cass children went to school".  I must confess I don't know if she meant her generation or her father Allen's as well.  So I will pursue.

Comments

Popular Posts