All Sorts of Going Ons

A Day in the Life: February 8th
 
(Aged 14)
Wea.  Snowy                                SAT. FEB. 8, 1896                         Ther.  25

Helped draw 2 loads of hay.
Allen's diaries

       
 
(Aged 16)
Wea.    Cloudy                             TUE. FEB. 8, 1898                         Ther. 38

Went to school.  Pa went down as the board met.  Chas. Rhodes was found dead in Mrs. Dingley’s barn last night.  Ma stayed at home Rollie went to school.  Rec’d a letter from Frank Warn.
 
 
(Aged 17)
Wea.                                             WED. FEB. 8, 1899                        Ther. 

Drove horse + cutter to school.
Lydia Lawson + Bess Traver rode up with me from school.  Alton, Jim + I were in the laboratory the second division. 

In eve Ed harrington came down.  I ask (sic) Bessie Traver to go to the party up to Loves with me.  She is going to tell me tomorrow.


(Aged 18)
Wea.                                             THUR. FEB. 8, 1900                      Ther.

Went to factory with the milk + skidded logs.  About 2 o’clock Mearle Cowan, Jay Helmick + I went hunting but didn’t get anything.  Ma, grandma + Rollie went to the burg.

 
(Aged 19)
Wea.                                              FRI. FEB. 8, 1901                          Ther.

Frank + I cut fence posts in P.M.  I never reached home until 8.00 P.M.


(Aged 20)
Wea.                                              SAT.  FEB.  8, 1902                       Ther.

Ray came down and got his clothes.  Earle found my fountain in his pocket.  Very Stormy.

 
(Aged 21)
Wea.                                              SAT.  FEB.  8, 1903                        Ther.

Andrew’s horses are sick.  Pa + I went up to see them and then came home to dinner.  Alice + I went up in afternoon again and stayed all night.  One of the cows had twin calves.


(Aged 22) 
Wea.                                                SUN. FEB. 8, 1904                      Ther.

Went up to farm.  Grandma’s cow is sick




***********

Editor's Note:  Chas Rhodes, I believe, was a 65 year-old carpenter.  I wonder if he was helping Mrs. Dingley fix something in the barn and had an accident.  I haven't found an obit.  Chas was married to Juliet Rhodes who is widowed and living with her sister in the 1900 Census. 

A Cutter is an open sleigh that usually only seats two.  Hello Bessie Travers.  I like that she is taking the night to think on Allen's invitation.

Another fruitless hunting excursion. 

In 1902 I am uncertain what is happening but if you recall, Ray left the day before and did not return.  Now he has come for his clothes suggesting finality of the working arrangement.  Also there is now Earle eager to work in Ray's stead but what I don't know is in whose pocket Allen's fountain pen was found.  Did Earle simply pick it up himself by accident or did Earle find it in Ray's pocket as Ray was gathering to go?  It would be a way for Earle to make sure the bridge was burned between Ray and Allen so he couldn't change his mind.  Is it obvious I enjoy speculating?

Everyone is seriously worried about Alice's father Andrew Warn's horses.  I wonder what it is that they all are ill?  Don't know who owns the twin calves between Allen and Andrew.

Clearly it's a hardship to lose your animals and the following year it is grandma's turn to worry over her cow.

Comments

Popular Posts