The Relatives Rally

Lydia Losee was George Burns' only sibling and Anna Burns was their mother.  The Ell addressed in the second letter is Ella--George's wife. These postcards were exchanged during the month following George's surgery.

Mother to Daughter:


 
63 South Division Street
february the 1 Lydia Losee

Cold about one inch of snow this morning no sleighing yet.  George is ra he shaved himself to day but dont sit up long yet docttor rogers came to him to day told george he must not sit a round very much.  roger has gotta tend to george this week Minor is going to Philadelphia to be gone a week.  I hope there wont anything serious happen while he is gone he keeps gaining but so slow.  he lost so much blood + the stub discharges so much that it keeps him weak.  the man that had his eye but out has gone home.  Lyd if I was worth any millions i don’t know but it would do to stay here two or three months and  boar it would take all South Stockton to pay it here. saying nothing docttors bill. 

Anna M Burns

Sister to Sister-in-law:

February 18, 1880

Well Ell I have been thinking that perhaps as I have promised to help Mrs. J.T. Curtis a few days I would help her now and then I can be with you after your father goes away and help you about the chores for I hardly thin our folks will be home just yet.  I have had no letter from them since I was with you.  Have not got my teeth yet.  It’s bad going to get to Dunkirk.

        L.B. Losee

Thoughts:
 
How funny is it that Anna signs her full name instead of "Love, Mom" or the like.  Bizarre.

Comments

Popular Posts