Death and Taxes

JANUARY 3

Age 71
Wednesday
1923


Allen and I went up to Mr Eccles to see the folks.  I drew up Luella’s Will.  They gave me an old clock.


Age 72
Thursday
1924


Rollie + I went to the burg.  I worked a while in the Parsonage’s barn.  Rollie got 1000 # feed for his cows.  Dr. Hurst paid his interest. $18.


Age 73
Saturday
1925


The boys drew 5 loads of poles.  Dr. Hurst paid his interest $18.  Paid my State + County tax $36.03


Age 74
Sunday
1926


Nora + I went to church.  Rollie was here.  Willard started back to Albany. 


Age 75
Monday
1927


Nora washed.   I sent a check of $10.97 for Morris’ ugo (?) tax in Poland.


Age 76
Tuesday
1928


Rollie, Esther and Ruttio (?) left about 10 A.M. for Fredonia.  About 8 P.M. the Cider Mill burned something broke the glass in Carl’s door.


Age 77
Thursday
1929


Cold + Windy.  Allen and Alice called a little while.  Paid my taxes  here $110.60 on both places.  State, County + Town.

Age 78
Friday
1930


Sold Ward Abbey the Hay on the hill for $45 and his note with Herbert Morrell as Endorser pay in 3 m at Farmer’s Bank.


Age 79
Saturday
1931


Read in a Book.  Allen A. called int he evening and said good bye on his way to Ann Arbor.

Age 80
Sunday
1932


Ruth and Jack called a little while.


Thoughts: It seems a sign of respect for the dead that Frank refers to his brother-in-law as Mr. Eccles instead of Gib--a man whom he has known his entire life.  But it is clear he has business on the Eccles' farm apart from mourning.  He is there to keep Luella's property in legal order.  Was the clock in payment for the his legal services or a momento to mark the passing of his friend?

What strikes me about the clock (pardon the pun) is that we have a very old clock in our possession that was our grandmother's.  I was always under the impression that it was from the Lucas side of the family but now I look at it with new eyes.  Was it that clock?





************

Comments

Popular Posts