It's What's for Dinner

A Day in the Life: October 16th


(Aged 14)
Wea.                                            FRI. OCT. 16, 1896               Ther. 

In A.M. drew corn in barn.  I went to the burg to see if the hind sprocket wheel had come in.  It hadn’t.  In P.M. Charlie + I went hunting.  We both killed one red squirrel.  In evening husked corn.  I husked 3 bu.
"Please kind sir, take my peanut but spare my life."


(Aged 16)
Wea.                                            SUN. OCT. 16, 1898               Ther.

Stayed at home all day.  Went to factory.  Grandma came over.  Mrs. Mason is here but Ma will take her home tonight.  We had chicken for dinner.


(Aged 17)
Wea.                                             MON. OCT. 16, 1899               Ther.

Worked in the basket factory all day.


(Aged 18)
Wea.                                              TUE. OCT. 16, 1900                 Ther.

Harry came back.  Went to school with Gordon.  In eve studied.


(Aged 19)
Wea.                                              WED. OCT. 16, 1901                Ther.

Finished drawing in our corn.  Chas husked 13 bu.


(Aged 20)
Wea.                                               THU.  OCT. 16, 1902             Ther.

Worked in barn.


(Aged 21)
Wea.                                              FRI.  OCT. 16, 1903                  Ther.


Went up to farm + started the silo.


***********


Editor's Note:  I don't know why I have resisted the thought for so long but I'm sure the reason chicken dinners always get a mention as opposed to any other menu item is because it probably was a big treat.  I remember commenting some time ago that what Allen was shooting at wasn't what I'd consider food but now I see I was mistaken. To that end I found a rather helpful site for the uninitiated for squirrel recipes


************

Comments

Popular Posts