Happy Hallowe'en!

A Day in the Life: October 31st


(Aged 14)

Wea.                                             SAT. OCT. 31, 1896               Ther.

Husked 9 bu. of corn.  Pa sent up to Jamestown by Ed Harrington + got my sprocket.  It was all right.


(Aged 16)

Wea.                                             MON. OCT. 31, 1898               Ther.

Drove to school.  Town Board met.  After school Ma took me to the top of Caskey Hill + I went down + stayed with Erd White.  It is Halloween + we had a fine time. Got home about 12.30.


(Aged 17)
Wea.                                             TUE. OCT. 31, 1899               Ther.

Worked all day driving team.  In eve played Pedro.


(Aged 18)
Wea.                                              WED. OCT. 31, 1900                 Ther.

Went to school with Gordon.


(Aged 19)

Wea.                                              THU. OCT. 31, 1901                Ther.

Will plowed + done chores.


(Aged 20)

Wea.                                               FRI.  OCT. 31, 1902             Ther.

Gail plowed.  I done chores + tinkered.  Alice is sick.  Got my own breakfast.


(Aged 21)
Wea.                                              SAT.  OCT. 31, 1903                  Ther.

Finished filling silo went up to Andrew’s.




***********


Editor's Note: 
I couldn't find Caskey Hill but it could be east from Frewsburg.  There were Caskeys living towards Cattaraugus in the mid 1800s so it could be the hill took the family's name.  Halloween was not a big deal at all it would seem.  I guess I knew trick or treating as we know it is a relatively modern tradition but I thought there would have been a party or two.  I'm sure he mentioned a jack o lantern party before.


Comments

Popular Posts