Don't Get Stuck in the Mud

A Day in the Life: September 23rd



(Aged 14)
Wea.                                           WED. SEPT. 23, 1896               Ther.

Drove to school.  At night ma went to James Anderson’s after the steering fork but they had sent it by express so when she got home I went to the burg + got them.  Grandma came over.



(Aged 16)
Wea.                                             FRI. SEPT. 23, 1898               Ther.

Went to school.  Luella rode home with me.  In eve went up the Hollow to a social at Andrew Warn’s.  Had a fine time.  I took Frank Warn over to Littlefield’s after it was over.  It was so muddy that we couldn’t ride our wheels.
Horses pulling car from mud for sale here.


(Aged 17)
Wea.                                             SAT. SEPT. 23, 1899               Ther.

NO ENTRY AGAIN UNTIL OCTOBER 2nd.


(Aged 18)
Wea.                                              SUN. SEPT. 23, 1900                 Ther.

Went over + got grandma.  Studied nearly all day.


(Aged 19)
Wea.                                              MON. SEPT. 23, 1901                Ther.

Done the chores + cleaned out the corn house. 


(Aged 20)
Wea.                                               TUE.  SEPT. 23, 1902             Ther.

Worked on silo.


(Aged 21)
Wea.                                              WED.  SEPT. 23, 1903                  Ther.


NO ENTRY AGAIN UNTIL OCTOBER 10th

***********



Editor's Note:  So Luella has indeed started at the high school in answer to my question a few weeks back.  That is why she can ride home with Allen.  And, two years before he is engaged to Alice Warn he is at her family's social having a fine time.  No mention of any attraction yet--I wonder if Allen gave her a second thought at this point.

What sort of disappoints me in all these entries, and I think I've mentioned this already, but while I get a little idea of Andrew Warn, Alice's mom Hattie NEVER gets mentioned.  I have no idea whatsoever what she was like.  Was she kind, was she meek, was she a battle ax?  What was she like?  She raised lovely daughters so she had to have been fairly nice, no? 


Also, if not mentioned before, I think Littlefield's is the farm of Eugene and Ena Littlefield.  I wonder if Frank didn't work for them for a time.
**********

Comments

Popular Posts