Taking Umbrage (see note)

A Day in the Life: July 17th


(Aged 14)
Wea.                                            FRI. JULY 17, 1896               Ther. 

Mowed in the A.M. Raked it up in the P.M.  Bought a knife of Devillo Kinneston for 3 cents.  Pa lost his Tuesday + I had Rollie’s so he took it a way from me.



(Aged 16)
Wea.                                            SUN. JULY 17, 1898               Ther.

Went to factory.  Stayed at home all day.  In eve went up to Geo Comstock’s with Jim Smith.  MA + Rollie went up to Mrs. Mason’s.


(Aged 17)
Wea.                                             MON. JULY 17, 1899               Ther.

?


(Aged 18)
Wea.                                              TUE. JULY 17, 1900                 Ther.

Worked haying all day.  Wrote a letter to Alice and one to Verna White.



(Aged 19)
Wea.                                              WED. JULY 17, 1901                Ther.

Hayed it at pa’s.


(Aged 20)
Wea.                                               THU.  JULY 17, 1902             Ther.

Rained last night.  Mowed by hand and cut brush.  I went up to the burg + got a lb of salt.  Took Alice up home.



(Aged 21)
Wea.                                               FRI.  JULY 17, 1903                  Ther.


'
NO ENTRY AGAIN UNTIL OCTOBER 10th.


***********


Editor's Note:  Knives in the round.  Why would little Rollie have a knife any how?  He was four going on five, was it necessary?  Did he know how to use it properly?  Basically, he had it in name only because it obviously was the family back-up knife.  I bet Rollie didn't even know he owned one.

I don't know where 1899's entry went so I will retrace it anon.

As for 1900, it is curious for a few reasons.  1) We have the letter he wrote to Alice and 2) What the hell did he have to write to Verna White on the same day?  I have always enjoyed the sweetness of the letter that I will post shortly but imagine my surprise when I see that he wrote to another girl on the very same night.   Did she get such an endearing and intimate note as Alice?  Harrumph.

Nothing like taking umbrage 111 years after the fact, right?  But I do feel a little let down.  I'm going to remind myself how it all turned out...

Alice and Allen Cass



***********

Comments

Popular Posts