"I Want Candy"

A Day in the Life: May 12th


(Aged 14)
Wea. hot                                     TUE. MAY 12, 1896               Ther.  80

Went to school.  Commenced to lay the wall for the barn.  It rained in the A.M. this is the first rain we have had for a long time.


(Aged 16)
Wea.   Sunny                               THU. MAY 12, 1898               Ther.

Drove Topsie to school rained hard in A.M. but cleared up in the P.M.  We lost another calf the best we had.  Pa gave me the skin if I would skin it + I did.  Pa + Ma went over to Unkle Lewis Woodward’s. 


(Aged 17)
Wea.                                             FRI. MAY 12, 1899               Ther.

Drove to school.  John went home.  Started a military drill at school.  In eve went up to a candy party for my S.S. class + Mrs. Rhode’s.  Had a fine time.  Went home with Irma Bunce.


(Aged 18)
Wea.                                              SAT. MAY 12, 1900                 Ther.

Stayed at home all day.  Pa + I blew out a few stumps.  Ma + Rollie went to the burg.  Took another picture of Jim Smith as the other didn’t suit him.  This is all right. 


(Aged 19)
Wea.                                              SUN. MAY 12, 1901                Ther.

NO ENTRY AGAIN UNTIL MAY 22nd


(Aged 20)
Wea.                                               MON.  MAY 12, 1902             Ther.

Turned the calves out.  Fixed fence between Joel + I.  Put in the last of our oats about 1/2 an acre in the swale in front of Jim’s.  Spotted Indian cow came in had a heifer calf.


(Aged 21)
Wea.                                              TUE.  MAY 12, 1903                  Ther.

Drew butter got back at 7:30 A.M. Started at 3:15 A.M.  Dragged corn ground.



***********



Editor's Note:  Unkle Lewis is Frank's uncle and Diantha's brother.  He lived in Kiantone, NY.  I would have thought Grandma (Diantha) would have gone too.

It would be wonderful to know what candy was served at the candy party.  I'm sure none of it would necessarily appeal to a modern palate--okay, my palate.  Mr. Hershey doesn't come out with his chocolate bar for another year so it was probably mostly hard candy.  Saying that, there'd be nothing artificial about it--no high fructose corn syrup--just beautiful sugar.

*In checking my supposition I just found the best site on old fashioned food and sweets here.

Also, I didn't know what a "swale" was that is why it is hyperlinked.   It has not come up in conversational use for me before now. 

Comments

Popular Posts