"I nearly killed myself by taking a summer salt"

(Aged 14)
Wea. Snowy                                 FRI. FEB. 7, 1896                           Ther.  30

Went to school.                      


(Aged 16)
Wea.   Sunny                                 MON. FEB. 7, 1898                        Ther. 36

Went to school rode down with Leon Page rode home with Josh Maxwell.  Had an invitation to the party Friday eve every girl asks a boy + Allie Smedley ask me but I told her I was engaged + I do expect to go riding.  Pa + Ma went to Sinclairville + bought the Webster Place.

The Ivory School around 1897-1898




I realize I've posted this before but now just about every girl has been mentioned.  Not sure who is who except for Alice Warn.  Likely, the first column of names is the back row and the second column is the first row.

                     


(Aged 17)
Wea.                                              TUE. FEB. 7, 1899                         Ther. 

Went to school.  Lydia Lawson + Bessie Traver rode up with me.  Pa drew logs.  In eve went up to Maxwell’s to a surprise party.  Had a fine time.  There were about 60 or 70 present and only 5 girls but they were all right.


(Aged 18)
Wea.                                              WED. FEB. 7, 1900                        Ther.

Stayed at home until about 3 P.M. wehn I went to the burg to get a cow of Mrs. Binnel.  John Glaspy came up + stayed all night with me.  Pa + Ma went to town.  I wrote a letter to Casser Conner, May Rowley, Mabel Spencer + Mabel White.


(Aged 19)
Wea.                                              THUR. FEB. 7, 1901                     Ther.

Pa went up on the hill and Alice rode up home with him.  I cut fence posts up on Springers all day. Took my dinner.  I nearly killed myself by taking a summer salt (sic) over the horses head.
I went up after Alice and then in eve went to the burg.



(Aged 20)
Wea.                                              FRI.  FEB.  7, 1902                Ther.

Earle Steven commence work.  We cut wood in A.M.  In P.M. I went to the burg. J. Smith went down with me.  Ruth came down.


(Aged 21)
Wea.                                              SAT.  FEB.  7, 1903                        Ther.

Alice + I went to town.


(Aged 22)
Wea.                                              SUN. FEB. 7, 1904                          Ther.

Stayed at home all day.  Aunt Sally Woodward was buried today.





***********

Editor's Note: 

Aunt Sally Woodward would have been Allen's great-great Aunt, or his grandmother Diantha's Aunt if you prefer.  Sally Woodward had been married to Pierce Woodward the younger brother of Reuben Woodward, Diantha's father.  Sally would have been about 86 years old at the time of her death.  So, pretty good innings.  The Woodwards are a very interesting branch of the family and our link to the American Revolution.  I'll be getting into them more as we go along. 

Cutting fence posts at the Springers!  There they are again and still no first name.

Still working on the discovering where the Webster Place was but clearly it was part of Frank Cass' plan to become a local land-baron. 

Poor Alice Smedley.  How mortifying.  And Allen knows he better make sure he has other plans that night.  I find his entry on the matter racked with guilt abated only by the promise to himself of other as of yet unmade plans for the evening. "Expect to go riding" indeed.  He better have.

Comments

Popular Posts