Happy Birthday Mr. President!

A Day in the Life: February 13th

(Aged 14)
Wea.    Rainy                                 THUR. FEB. 13, 1896                  Ther. 

Went to school.  Ma went down to the burg with me + stayed at Aunt Emma’s all day.  So did Rollin.
                   
 
(Aged 16)
Wea.   Sunny                                SUN. FEB. 13, 1898                       Ther. 36

Went over after grandma.  She came over and stayed all the P.M.  We looked for Gib’s folks all day but they didn’t come.  Carried grandma home about 5:15 P.M.
               
 
(Aged 17)
Wea.                                             MON. FEB. 13, 1899                      Ther. 

Went to school rode down with pa he went to Jamestown.  School let out at noon as it is Lincoln’s birthday.  I got around in time to ride up with pa when he came home from town.  In P.M. took the colt up the hollow  + got her shod.

In eve got my picture ready + wrote a letter to Mabel.
Happy "Moveable Feast" Birthday President Lincoln!

Library of Congress Photo
 
(Aged 18)
Wea.                                               TUE. FEB. 13, 1900                      Ther.

Began going to school am riding with Gordon Taylor.  The subjects I take are, Algebra, Economics, Adv. English and Physical Geography.

 
(Aged 19)
Wea.                                              WED. FEB. 13, 1901                     Ther.

Did chores in A.M.  In evening we , Ma, Alice, Rollie + I went down to the burg to a lecture.  It was very good subject “Musical (?) + Misfits” by Spullman Riggs.  We went over to Chases.  I got a table for $4.50.  It is all right.  Ma bought us a fine bedroom suite for $80.    It is marble top and a bargain.
 

(Aged 20)
Wea.                                              THUR.  FEB.  13, 1902                 Ther.

Went to factory.  Pearle went home.  Brought a 4 year old cow over from pa’s got her of (f) Hiram Haley $20.  Drew grandma a load of wood.  Kineston is going to draw my logs.

 
(Aged 21)
Wea.                                              FRI.  FEB.  13, 1903                        Ther.

Dave drew out manure.  I did chores.  I went up to Joel’s .  He paid me $5.00.  Went up to see how Andrew’s horses were.  One is getting well.  Braided watches with Dave.




***********


Editor's Note:  Aunt Emma would have been Nora's sister Emma Babcock Fenton.  I didn't realize she lived in the burg.  I thought she was out on a farm.  Interesting.  She was the mother of Blaine. 

Sort of sad I can't figure out what the lecture title was but I couldn't find Spullman Riggs in any event.  Wish also I knew what the furniture really looked like.  It sounds heavy and dark to me.  Well, Victorian on sale at the end of the century.  Chase Hall seems to have been some sort of emporium because that is where Allen bought the cigar for his Dad around the Caucus time and now where they get the furniture.

Comments

  1. I have Grandpa Allen's picture book of Lincoln. He was obsessed (in a good way) with President Lincoln.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts